How to get rid of scalp acne and pimples?
From 2 years I have acne on the scalp. What should I do?
Everyone familiar with the problem of scalp acne, pimples, and sores knows firsthand how unpleasant and annoying the condition is. When you get acne on your scalp, you can’t fend off that horrible itching, which makes you nervous and irritated all the time. All your thoughts are about the pimples on the scalp that are not going away. This article will shed light on what causes pimples on the scalp and reveal helpful remedies to get rid of the disease.
Main Symptoms of Scalp Acne
It’s not complicated to detect acne under hair. Of course, large pimples are more visible on one’s face than under the locks. Still, it is easy to identify the condition when you know specific symptoms. If you suffer from scalp itching and notice small pimples all over the scalp and on your neck, these are the first alarming signs of the disease.
Just like facial acne, there are a number of reasons why acne pops up on your scalp. Stress, hormonal imbalances, certain foods and abnormal immune response can all be contributing factors. Pimples happen when hair follicles get clogged because of the naturally occurring oil that keeps the skin moisturized (sebum) and bacteria enter the follicle. @lmclowry
White pimples can be harder to identify under long hair than severe scalp acne (folliculitis), especially if they do not cause itching. Some people have chronic pimples that may disappear and return during their lifetime. In case you notice blood pimples or suffer from extremely painful scalp acne, don’t hesitate to consult a trichologist ASAP.
What Causes Scalp Acne and Pimples
Most people who suffer from itchy pimples on the scalp have no idea where they come from. According to dermatologists, everyone is susceptible to this skin disorder regardless of age and gender. The most common scalp acne causes are:
– Improper hair wash. Surprisingly, but around 58% of men and women wash their hair improperly. They don’t wash out shampoo thoroughly, which leads to clogged pores and may cause acne scabs. A similar problem occurs if you wash your hair irregularly.
– Extensive sweating. This problem is typical for most people regardless of the season. In summer, we sweat from the heat. In winter, we have to wear warm hats, and thus, we sweat too. In most cases, extensive sweating may result in watery pimples on the scalp.
– Dandruff. People with dandruff often face another problem related to the condition, i.e., dandruff pimples. As a rule, they don’t cause severe pain but still, lead to certain inconveniences in daily life (like the problem of ‘white snow’ when wearing dark clothes).
– Wrong diet. It’s not a secret that our health and appearance directly depend on what we eat. There are certain foods that cause scalp acne: dairy products, soda, alcohol, sugar, and fast food. Of course, there is nothing criminal about eating a burger once in a couple of months, but regular dining at MacDonald’s and similar places can lead to getting acne in the hairline and scalp.
How to clear hairline pimples: – remember to always remove your makeup and cleanse your face before bed, making sure to go all the way up to your hairline, – when washing hair, make sure to rinse thoroughly, – avoid heavy, sticky, waxy styling products that can seal pores, trapping oil and bacteria inside, – your makeup should be non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. Pimples around the hairline should be treated as pimples, so exfoliation and acne treatment are important, too. @minty___7
Expert Tips on Scalp Acne Treatment
Everyone who lives with this disorder seeks remedies to remove pimples and get back to normal life. Besides, most patients with painful pimples on the scalp may face another unpleasant condition associated with scalp acne – hair loss. Permanent scars mean bald patches and less hair, alas.
The following measures proved their efficiency in scalp pimples treatment:
1. Use a medicated shampoo for scalp acne. Common shampoos may only aggravate the condition. Also, don’t neglect a regular head washing routine (2-3 times per week).
2. Choose a proper conditioner for scalp acne. Again, most hair conditioners are not suitable for the oily scalp. They block pores and cause red pimples like bumps on the scalp that hurt and itch.
3. Protect your scalp from extensive sweating. Try to choose headwear made of quality materials, which won’t let your scalp sweat a lot. Also, don’t wait too long to take a shower after a gym or at-home workouts.
4. Follow the right diet. Meals full of vitamins and minerals are the best cure for pimples. Instead of dining in fast food restaurants and drinking alcohol, try to pick up foods rich in vitamins A and D, Omega-3, and zinc.
Did you know you can get acne on your scalp too?Try these 4 tips for treating scalp acne:
1. Avoid Oily or Chemical-Based Shampoos
2. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Only Condition Your Ends
4. Brush! @morroccomethod
Home Remedies for Scalp Acne and Pimples Healing
Some remedies are helpful for scalp acne treatment at home. You can easily find them in almost any pharmacy or specialized stores.
– Castor oil for scalp acne. It helps to get rid of really bad pimples and dead cells.
– Coconut oil. This is the best medicine to improve red skin and eliminate scalp irritation.
– Salicylic and glycolic acids. These are powerful remedies to kill bacteria that cause cystic acne on the scalp.
– Baking soda. A mix of baking soda (two teaspoons) and a little water will allow you to reduce hard pimples. Apply this mixture to your scalp for 15 minutes before washing your hair.
– Essential oils for scalp acne. Rosemary, oregano, thyme, and tea tree oil are the best helpers in healing any scalp full of pimples. You can add these ingredients to your shampoo to give it a healing effect every time you wash your head.
How Long Does Scalp Acne Last?
Typically, it takes around a month to heal scalp acne and 1-2 weeks more to get rid of crusty pimples that may appear afterward. Of course, each case is individual and requires specific treatment, which may take more than a month. However, even in the most severe cases, the healing process will not last longer than 3-4 months.
The primary rule is to select a proper strategy and follow recommendations of your doctor. When you pick up the best shampoo for scalp acne, always pay heed to its formula. In this article, we’ve highlighted the best ingredients efficient in dealing with annoying pimples on the scalp.
There is nothing to be embarrassed about if this unpleasant skin condition happens to you. Now, you know how to treat scalp acne fast and prevent its recurrence in the future.
Featured Image: cookie_studio – www.freepik.com