30 Most Stylish Cornrows and Scalp Braids for 2023
Cornrows were invented as a protective hairstyle that can both help to regrow your curls and save you from the hottest months of the year. So, if you are looking for scalp braids to try out asap, you are in the right place. Read on!
Some facts about cornrow braids:
– Cornrows are braided close to the scalp, so they are one of the types of SCALP braids.
– It’s difficult to cornrow your hair without the help of a hairdresser. Better book an appointment with your hairstylist.
– Cornrow braids last at least one month and are easy to take care of.
– To create some cornrows braided hairstyles you might need to add extensions to your natural hair.
The selection below will show you the trendiest cornrow hairstyles 2023 for women and girls, with images and descriptions.
1. Cornrow Lemonade Braids. This scalp braid style didn’t have a name of its own until Beyoncé has released her Lemonade album. It’s a safe alternative for bobs with shaved sides.
2. Cornrow Bun. A bun is the easiest way to style your cornrows for your studies or work. You can transform it into a ponytail in a few seconds.
3. Cornrow Bob. Long cornrows are quite heavy, but a bob is light and playful. Some make bobs with cornrow dreads if their lifestyle is laidback and informal.
4. Cornrows Hairstyle with Neat Low Bun. Guiding your braids to the back and twisting them into a tight and beautifully textured low bun is a good idea for an elegant look and stronger protection for your natural hair.
5. Braids to the Back on Cornrows. Choosing an intricate pattern is the right way to go when you want to take your cornrow braids to the next level. This version catches the eye with a stunning transition from disconnected tiny cornrows around the front to the helmet of crossing braids on the top.
6. Two Cornrow Braids. Typical of diligent and obedient schoolgirls. Please pay attention to the small rings in the braids — adding some zest is easy.
7. Swirly Cornrows with Long Braids. This girl gave a new twist to her scalp braids just by making them wind around the head instead of having them done in straight lines.
8. Side Cornrow Braids. Side cornrows are a smart alternative to your regular scalp braids running back. If you want to play with asymmetry, here’s a great solution.
9. Straight Back Braids with Zigzag Parting. Cornrow styles are truly versatile since you can play not only with sizes and directions. The zigzag do in the picture below is not overly complicated yet sassy enough to come into the spotlight. And don’t hesitate to ask for feed-in braids.
10. Cornrow Updo with Curls. Such a cute updo creates an impish and feminine impression at the same time. Use hairbands, ribbons, or tiaras to hold your hair.
11. Four Cornrow Braids. Actually, 4 cornrows or 6 cornrows — the number doesn’t matter as long as there is an impressive braided design on your scalp. You choose.
12. Short Half Cornrows Half Curls Hairstyle. While many cornrow hairstyles end in lengthy braids, this version couples intricate plaiting in the front with springy short spirals in the back, gaining more volume and texture diversity.
13. Cornrows of Different Sizes. Here we are looking at the sleek and yummy chocolate hair that alternates mini braids with thicker cornrows to create a crisp pattern. However, the style doesn’t stop here and adds movement with the off-center placement. Similar cornrow hairstyles with braids of different sizes are very hot RN!
14. Cornrow Braids in Massive Top Knot. Here is a gorgeous example of updo cornrow braids — it creates a strong focal point with a huge bun placed atop the head and includes a nod to Fulani braids on the sides to redirect attention to the face.
15. Half-Cornrows Half-Curls. Searching for different ways to style cornrows? Check out this cornrows braided hairstyle with curls. A fanciful way to reveal your natural curls while keeping your hair off your face with dazzling side cornrows braids to the back.
16. Wave-Shaped Cornrows with Mid-Length Braids. Handsomely patterned cornrow styles need neither extra length nor bright colors to shine, and this snaky braiding makes a statement on its own.
17. Low Bun for Stitch Cornrows. You don’t have to spend hours in your stylist’s chair for your hair to look marvelous every day. Though simple and laid-back, her cornrow braids style is eye candy. The updo with baby hair gives her a super-classy look.
18. Simple Big Cornrows. A simple and less time-consuming cornrows hairstyle. Boost that seductively innocent statement with these super-stylish big stitch cornrows. A nude make-up will subtly enhance the allure. Don’t forget to style baby hairs.
20. High Bun Cornrows. Check these polished medium-sized cornrows. You can drop the braids down in a classic ponytail hairstyle or wear it up in a high bun for a more formal majestic queen look.
21. Chocolate Brown Twisted Style. We have already seen how some girls pair cornrows with loose curls, but what about these bouncy and texture-rich twists filled with splashes of brown?
22. Super-Long and Color-Packed Braided Hair. Such tribal designs remain among trending cornrows for 2023, and this girl definitely rides the wave, with her Fulani-themed hairstyle gleaming with brown to blonde shades.
23. Jumbo Stitch Cornrows. Too busy (ok, make that lazy) to be bothered with styling your hair daily? These protective goddess braids styled into a ponytail are what you need. A versatile, low-maintenance, get-up-and-go cornrow hairstyle.
24. Cute Asymmetric Bob Made of Braids. Bob-inspired cornrows for women of color ooze some specific charm, as they combine hairstyles of different ethnic backgrounds to create an absolutely classy look.
25. Half-Cornrows Half-Braids Updo. This is a popular African cornrow hairstyle for women. The versatile small cornrows are a showstopper anytime anywhere. Cornrow braids are usually elongated with extensions for additional glitz and easy styling. Wrap the ends up in a bun or let it down in a ponytail – versatility and perfection in one style.
26. Half Cornrows Half Kinky Twists. A fun and fancy way to get the best of both worlds. This sophisticated cornrow hairstyle is a marriage of cornrow braids and curly kinky twists. A perfect hairstyle for both formal events and casual outings.
27. Braided and Beaded Burgundy Lob. This mid-length style blends jumbo cornrows with box braids to land a cool-girl lob, further spiced up with a rich shade of red and accentuated with golden beads.
28. Multisize Cornrows with Pops of Blonde. This hairdo turns straight-back braids into an eye-catching play of patterns and sizes, adding some blonde bits to elevate the look and make the style even more sophisticated.
29. Jumbo Cornrows. Jumbos are supposed to be big cornrows, but their thickness should depend on your facial features. Jumbos produce a great impression in buns and intricate hairdos.
30. Stitch Braided Cornrows. This look is a cute blend of different braid styles. We see here Fulani-like side braids, thick Ghana cornrows (also known as Banana braids), and thin scalp braids. Mix and play with braids you like the most!
So, these were the trending cornrows for the year 2023. Hopefully, this selection of cornrow designs will give you enough inspiration to choose your unique style. Feel free to experiment with braids and extensions, but make sure your braider is skilled and experienced enough. Cornrow hairstyles are always a great idea because they attract a lot of attention and match well with trendy clothing. Cornrow braid styles will help you produce an indelible impression on your family, friends, and colleagues!