50 Half-Up Half-Down Hairstyles for Every Hair Type, Season and Occasion
The best thing about half-up half-down hairstyles is that they give you the best of both worlds. The style is practical, absolutely lovely, and suitable for daily errands and your nighttime events too.
These 50 best styles for all hair types will, hands down, help with finding inspiration for your perfect half updo!
1. Half-Up Half-Down Bun. Imagine you are traveling to your favorite music festival and add a loose messy bun to your hairstyle. Complete it by plaiting a couple of cheeky braids and add a few different accessories.
2. Elegant Half-Up Half-Down Updo. Feel like a true Disney princess with a puffy crown complemented with chunky elegant waves flowing down the back.
3. Half-Up Half-Down Curly Hair. Whether you’re looking for a style to go with your prom or bridesmaid’s dress, a twisted wispy half updo will perfectly complement your look.
4. Fancy Wedding Half Updo. If you have minimal styling skills, it may really get hard to recreate this half up on your own, so book an appointment with your hairstylist.
5. Boho Bridal Half Up Hairstyle. Messy hairstyles have been trending for quite a long time, so why not give this easy half up a go? Textured beachy curls in a loose braid add a boho touch to the overall look.
6. Half-Up Half-Down Bob. If you want to give off low-key Greek goddess vibes, why not try styling your short locks with a loose side Dutch braid?
7. Half-Up Half-Down Braids. The contrasts of light and dark, fluffy and sleek, tousled and tight set this braided half updo apart from the rest in our review.
8. Half-Up Half-Down Box Braids. Can’t go wrong with a warrior-worthy ponytail braided or knotted when you feel like spicing up your everyday look.
9. Half Up Half Down Style with Bangs. If you don’t want to fuss much with styling medium-to-long hair, blow dry your bangs with a round brush for extra volume and clip back a couple of thick strands with an accent, like a big bow.
10. Half-Up Half-Down Ponytail. A neat trick to add extra volume to tired hair. By styling your pony at the very top, you’ll have the hairdo looking much puffier in seconds.
11. Pretty Half Up Crown Braid. Some half-up, half-down styles go best with braids and messy curls. Like this cutie that shyly gives off medieval vibes.
12. Half-Up Half-Down Pigtails. Try something modern and edgy and swap your usual pony for two sassy little pigtails.
13. Half-Up Braided Style for Thin Hair. One of the more popular half updo styling ideas. Intertwining loose curls and accentuating the volume with thin braids at the crown, surely creates a royal look for an event.
14. Half-Up Half-Down Long Hair. Easily create a fancier feel to your long wavy hair by accessorizing it with a big, eye-catching bow or any other accent you prefer.
15. Casual Half Updo for Hair Past Shoulders. A few twists and pins can instantly turn your usual half up into a soiree-worthy hairdo.
16. Cute and Simple Bubble Braid Style. This one looks particularly good on our girls with longer hair. The more locks you’ve got, the fancier your knotted bubble braid will look!
17. Pretty Braided Half-Up Half-Down Hair. An utterly cute styling option for ladies with longer hair. It does require a particular skill, but it’s nothing a few YouTube videos can’t teach.
18. Dutch Braid Half Updo for Medium Hair. One of the prettiest half-up hairstyles for second-day hair. Effortlessly cute in less than five minutes!
19. Half-Up Half-Down Straight Hair. You don’t always need a head full of curls for a classy updo. Pull your straight hair back, twist, and pin it with a statement piece for a professional look.
20. African-American Half-Up Bun. Whether you’re styling your natural hair or want to install extensions to look special; a textured high bun and thick springy curls in the back will serve you just right.
21. French Braid Half-Up Half-Down Style. A super sweet and delicate idea, crowned with a loose side French braid. What’s not to love about it?
22. Easy Half Updo with Flowers. A style that just screams “wedding”. Either choose it to complement your romantic looks or, on the contrary, add some femininity if your outfit is on the rougher side.
23. Messy Braided Half Updo. This style doesn’t really require any special skills to perform a sleek braid, but you might need to train a few times first! Simple but chic, your time will be worth it!
24. Half-Up Half-Down Short Hair. A total winner! Goes perfectly with pretty much anything, easy to put together, and has an “effortlessly French” flair to it.
25. Half-Up Braids and Curls. This elegant and fierce style with Khaleesi vibes may work for your next formal event. Besides, it makes it super easy to put your lower hair in a bun in case it gets too hot.
26. Half-Up Half-Down Braided Hairstyle. If you’re familiar with more than one braiding technique, you can join them together for an extra creative fancy hairdo!
27. Wedding Half Updo for Long Hair. Loose, lacy waves gather like clouds in a barely visible half updo. You may need your stylist’s help with it.
28. Halo Braid Half Updo. Super feminine and delicate, also known as the crown braid style, it will make your hair seem more voluminous and get you admiring glances from miles away.
29. Half-Up Half-Down Curls. Natural curls generate extreme levels of volume on their own, but pulling your curly cues back makes the whole look ten times more majestic.
30. Half-Up Half-Down Twisted Hairstyle. If braiding isn’t your cup of tea, you can easily complete a fun hairstyle by twisting two sections on each side and bringing them together in the back for a fast and sweet ‘do. What a creative way to wear your feather earrings!
31. Half Updo with a Braided Halo. Something easy and delicate to recreate for the ladies with long wavy locks. The halo secures the volume at the top, while the braids are tied together with a soft knot. Rough up the bouffant crown slightly for a chill feel.
32. Textured Medium Length Hairstyle. The voluminous half-up braid along with the teased pony creates dynamic texture and promises to complete your stylish everyday look.
33. Elegant Everyday Low Pony. When looking for quick and easy half up half down hairstyles one can become rather puzzled with the choices. But with the miracle that is a headscarf, this won’t be an issue: get an elastic band to put the top half of your hair away and add a stylish accent to finish the outfit.
34. Wedding Half Up Hair. Instead of going for some traditional fancy up down hairstyles, try this chic half updo that exudes elvish vibes. The basic half up hairdo is upgraded with a tight fishtail braid.
35. Twisted Tresses with a Low Pony. Now here’s a perfect one for long thick hair and you can do it at home. Secure your twists with an elastic tie, then, disguise it with a few strands making a knot. Your perfect half up half down curls are done!
36. Curly Hair with a Loose Braid. All half up hairstyles become at least two times fancier with a braid woven into it. It just adds a certain “je ne sais quoi” to the mix. The loose braid softens the waterfall of thick curls and makes it even more eye-catching.
37. Fishtail Half Updo for Long Hair. The half up half down French braid is one of the oldest ideas for half-up styles, and no wonder this beauty is still so popular among long-haired ladies. It’s easy when mastered and helps to deliver a rather fierce yet delicate overall appearance. The pieces loosely draped on the sides are a modern touch to the classic look.
38. Cute Half Up Half Down Style. Literally a two-second, maybe a two-minute updo that will have you looking grungy and stylish all day. Whether you want to look pretty at uni or festival, these two messy knots have you covered.
39. Half Updo for Curly Hair. An irresistible idea to take to your hairdresser when the next formal event comes up. The braided halo is a smart move to help you show off the gradient of your colored half up half down curly hair.
40. Half Up Half Down Style for Long Hair. Live out your Disney princess dreams with a lovely crown featuring loosely curled and teased pieces cascading down your shoulders in softer, more delicate waves.
41. Chunky Half Up Ponytail Braid. It may seem hard to recreate at first, but trust us, it’s not. Start by twisting or braiding side pieces, knot them together, then use small elastic bands to make a layered ponytail braid.
42. Shaggy Hair with Braided Crown. Suitable for any occasion, this hairdo won’t let you down. Bring together two frontal pieces weaving soft, loose half up half down braids, and entwine them to achieve a halo-like look.
43. Half Up Half Down Ponytail. The high-pony skyrocketed thanks to Ariana Grande and Victoria’s Secret models. Curl your locks with a straightening iron and put the top half in a fancy pony. Leave out some hair on both sides in the front for a nice face frame.
44. Messy Half Up Bun. Nothing beats a half up half down bun: it is easy, efficient, and looks super cute. There are many ways to go around it to avoid the traditional bobble-bun, so go ahead and experiment!
45. Bridal Braided Half Up Hairstyle. Add a subtle compliment to your glossy waves. Create some extra volume at the top by teasing the crown hair and accessorize with a cute side braid. Something you’d probably want to take to a stylist rather than sweat at home trying.
46. Knotted Half Up Half Down Hair. A simple yet gorgeous half updo to complement layered waves. Take this example for inspiration and get your own masterpiece. Pure hair art!
47. Half Up Half Down Small Braids. Spice up an ordinary bun. Make a braided scroll that has as many braids as you want falling down from it. There you go, an effortlessly cool idea for an everyday look all done.
48. Half Up Braided Crown. Among many half up half down braided hairstyles, this sits at the top of the list. If you or your friends aren’t professionals at braids, show this to someone who knows their stuff to get the royal Khaleesi worthy Dutch braided half updo.
49. Curly Half Up Ponytail Prom Hair. Shine at your final important school event. Make the best of your hair texture and create an airy half updo with a big, puffy bouffant and loose gracious waves throughout.
50. Half Up Half Down with Bangs. If you’re not convinced yet that mastering the art of braiding should be your next goal, this will change your mind. Not only does it suit long hair perfectly, but its original and creative messy zig-zag braiding technique will take away the breath of literally anyone around. Besides, for those with long bangs, you could separate them and tease the top a bit for a lifted, voluminous look.
As you may have noticed, there are endless half-up half-down hairstyles if your mane is at least shoulder length. Regardless of your experience in styling, there is definitely a cute hairdo to suit your needs among these 50 awesome choices!