30 Half-Up Half-Down Hairstyles for Every Hair Type, Season and Occasion
The best thing about half-up half-down hairstyles is that they give you the best of both worlds. The style is practical, absolutely lovely, and suitable for daily errands and your nighttime events too.
These 30 best styles for all hair types will, hands down, help with finding inspiration for your perfect half updo!
1. Half Up Half Down Style with Bangs. If you don’t want to fuss much with styling medium-to-long hair, blow dry your bangs with a round brush for extra volume and clip back a couple of thick strands with an accent, like a big bow.
2. Boho Bridal Half Up Hairstyle. Messy hairstyles have been trending for quite a long time, so why not give this easy half up a go? Textured beachy curls in a loose braid add a boho touch to the overall look.
3. Elegant Half-Up Half-Down Updo. Feel like a true Disney princess with a puffy crown complemented with chunky elegant waves flowing down the back.
4. Half-Up Half-Down Ponytail. A neat trick to add extra volume to tired hair. By styling your pony at the very top, you’ll have the hairdo looking much puffier in seconds.
5. Half-Up Half-Down Bun. Imagine you are a traveling gypsy and add a loose messy bun to your hairstyle. Complete it by plaiting a couple of cheeky braids and add a few different accessories.
6. Pretty Half Up Crown Braid. Some half-up, half-down styles go best with braids and messy curls. Like this cutie that shyly gives off medieval vibes.
7. Half-Up Half-Down Pigtails. Try something modern and edgy and swap your usual pony for two sassy little pigtails.
8. Half-Up Braided Style for Thin Hair. One of the more popular half updo styling ideas. Intertwining loose curls and accentuating the volume with thin braids at the crown, surely creates a royal look for an event.
9. Fancy Wedding Half Updo. If you have minimal styling skills, it may really get hard to recreate this half up on your own, so book an appointment with your hairstylist.
10. Half-Up Half-Down Long Hair. Easily create a fancier feel to your long wavy hair by accessorizing it with a big, eye-catching bow or any other accent you prefer.
11. Casual Half Updo for Hair Past Shoulders. A few twists and pins can instantly turn your usual half up into a soiree-worthy hairdo.
12. Half-Up Half-Down Box Braids. Can’t go wrong with a warrior-worthy ponytail braided or knotted when you feel like spicing up your everyday look.
13. Cute and Simple Bubble Braid Style. This one looks particularly good on our girls with longer hair. The more locks you’ve got, the fancier your knotted bubble braid will look!
14. Pretty Braided Half-Up Half-Down Hair. An utterly cute styling option for ladies with longer hair. It does require a particular skill, but it’s nothing a few YouTube videos can’t teach.
15. Half-Up Half-Down Curly Hair. Whether you’re looking for a style to go with your prom or bridesmaid’s dress, a twisted wispy half updo will perfectly complement your look.
16. Dutch Braid Half Updo for Medium Hair. One of the prettiest half-up hairstyles for second-day hair. Effortlessly cute in less than five minutes!
17. Half-Up Half-Down Straight Hair. You don’t always need a head full of curls for a classy updo. Pull your straight hair back, twist, and pin it with a statement piece for a professional look.
18. Half-Up Half-Down Bob. If you want to give off low-key Greek goddess vibes, why not try styling your short locks with a loose side Dutch braid?
19. Half-Up Half-Down Braids. The contrasts of light and dark, fluffy and sleek, tousled and tight set this braided half updo apart from the rest in our review.
20. African-American Half-Up Bun. Whether you’re styling your natural hair or want to install extensions to look special; a textured high bun and thick springy curls in the back will serve you just right.
21. French Braid Half-Up Half-Down Style. A super sweet and delicate idea, crowned with a loose side French braid. What’s not to love about it?
22. Easy Half Updo with Flowers. A style that just screams “wedding”. Either choose it to complement your romantic looks or, on the contrary, add some femininity if your outfit is on the rougher side.
23. Messy Braided Half Updo. This style doesn’t really require any special skills to perform a sleek braid, but you might need to train a few times first! Simple but chic, your time will be worth it!
24. Half-Up Half-Down Short Hair. A total winner! Goes perfectly with pretty much anything, easy to put together, and has an “effortlessly French” flair to it.
25. Half-Up Braids and Curls. This elegant and fierce style with Khaleesi vibes may work for your next formal event. Besides, it makes it super easy to put your lower hair in a bun in case it gets too hot.
26. Half-Up Half-Down Braided Hairstyle. If you’re familiar with more than one braiding technique, you can join them together for an extra creative fancy hairdo!
27. Wedding Half Updo for Long Hair. Loose, lacy waves gather like clouds in a barely visible half updo. You may need your stylist’s help with it.
28. Halo Braid Half Updo. Super feminine and delicate, also known as the crown braid style, it will make your hair seem more voluminous and get you admiring glances from miles away.
29. Half-Up Half-Down Curls. Natural curls generate extreme levels of volume on their own, but pulling your curly cues back makes the whole look ten times more majestic.
30. Half-Up Half-Down Twisted Hairstyle. If braiding isn’t your cup of tea, you can easily complete a fun hairstyle by twisting two sections on each side and bringing them together in the back for a fast and sweet ‘do. What a creative way to wear your feather earrings!
As you may have noticed, there are endless half-up half-down hairstyles if your mane is at least shoulder length. Regardless of your experience in styling, there is definitely a cute hairdo to suit your needs among these 30 awesome choices!