40 Prettiest Bun Hairstyles You’re Gonna Want to Copy ASAP
This article compiles a list of trendy and stylish bun hairstyles for all occasions imaginable. Regardless of your hair type and length, you will find a perfect hair bun. Some of them are easy to style every day, others may be a great addition to your wedding or ‘red-carpet’ look. Choose what suits your needs – the selection is really cool and useful.
Read on to see the stylish bun hairstyles we’ve carefully handpicked for you. You’ll be provided with endless inspiration for your style! Don’t forget to share your favorite bun options in the comments below.
1. Neat Bun for Medium Hair. A low bun updo with a half-hidden braid across the top would be perfect for all formal occasions. It’s modest but makes a statement.
2. Chignon Bun. A tucked chignon can be styled formally or informally. You may decide to arrange your hair loosely for a casual updo or make your look more polished for a wedding, prom, or any ‘black-tie’ event.
3. Top Bun Hairstyle. The top bun hairstyle is one of the trendiest updos at the moment. This style is best for medium and long-length hair. Add a ribbon and you will get a cute bun hairstyle for any occasion.
4. Messy Bun with Accessories. Adding accessories to your low bun will instantly upgrade the whole look. Moreover, there are so many accessories to choose from nowadays, starting from clips, flowers, and headbands, and ending with different ribbons and silk scarves.
5. Double Bun Hairstyle. This 2-bun hairstyle is pretty and playful. You can wear it every day or even make it your wedding hairstyle. Suitable for straight and wavy hair, this easy updo will brighten your mood.
6. Low Twisted Bun. Combine two trendy elements – the bun and the twist – in your hairstyle, and make a perfect formal bun. Now you have a great idea of a hairstyle for all birthdays, parties, and work occasions up your sleeve.
7. Easy Bun Hairstyle. This is an easy bun that even a beginner will recreate! Whether you’re looking for something simple to do in the morning, or something loose to wear for an event, opt for it and be sure that you look stunning!
8. Bun with Bandana. Incorporating a bandana or a scarf into your buns is a great way to accessorize your look. They add color and that so much-needed zest to your style.
9. Bun for Long Hair. Sometimes, long hair can be difficult to put into any style. Especially if your hair is pretty thick. However, a low bun is a great hair ‘tamer’. It looks nice, suits any occasion, and helps make your unruly locks more manageable.
10. Ponytail Bun. This bun can be easily assembled from a ponytail. Make an undone ponytail by stopping halfway, don’t pull it to the end, and simply wrap the rest of the hair around the hair tie. It looks great with light summer clothes.
11. Messy Hair Bun. If you’re looking for something feminine but carefree, opt for a trendy messy bun. Keep it simple. Leave a few sections of your hair hanging loose, make a ponytail bun, wrap the rest of the hair around the hair tie, and don’t forget to pull some strands at the crown to make the updo fluffier.
12. Bun Hairstyle with Bangs. You can complement your cute donut bun with bangs. As you pull your hair off your face, your thick curtain bangs will softly frame your face. Just look how pretty blonde balayage highlights look in updos!
13. Bun for Thin Hair. Having thinner hair can make it difficult to create any spectacular hair look due to your hair falling out of the tie or it being too thin to do anything extravagant. However, there are many hairstyles that you could do even with very thin hair. For example, different low knots enable you to style your thin hair so that it looks thicker.
14. Buns for Shoulder-Length Hair. Buns made at the nape of your neck are adorable. They are great for elegant or everyday occasions. The best part is that thanks to this tutorial, such a bun only takes minutes to do, so even if you’re in a rush, this hairstyle will work perfectly.
15. Bow Bun Hairstyle. This bun is really cute and if you’ve got more time on your hands during the day, it’s great to practice. It’s more for a fancy occasion rather than everyday wear. What about the Christmas dinner or New Year’s Eve party? Complement this bow bun with glitter or pearl pins.
16. Funky Braids and Pigtail Buns. Fishbone plaits are a great twist on the traditional French braiding technique. However, adding a creative hair color and two buns to these braids can turn heads.
17. Pin Up Bun with Bangs. You can add fabric to your bun by twisting and threading it through your hair or tying it around the final hairstyle. Either way, it looks excellent and adds color.
18. Mohawk Hairstyle with a Low Bun. A braided Mohawk with a low bun works perfectly as a twist to a common low bun. It can add more interest to your look and allows you to stand out from the crowd.
19. Buns with Hats. Adding hats to your bun hairstyles is a great way of accessorizing despite the season. Hats work with loose buns mostly as they really complement the look.
20. Roll Bun. This style with a modern twist is mind-blowing. If you want to refresh your classic French twist updo and make it more casual, give it a try.
21. Very Low Bun. Complicated bun hairstyles are not for wearing them with hats. A cool idea will be to make a very low, relaxed bun aka ‘knot’ at the lower half of your braid. It will look messy, carefree, and extremely pretty.
22. Braided Bun with a Scarf. Adding a pretty pastel scarf to your hair never hurts. Use this trick if you want to match your outfit with your hairstyle or make an accent.
23. Buns for Short Hair. If you’ve got short neck-length hair, it can be tricky to find a style that suits your cropped locks and the event you are attending. As long as you have hair ties and bobby pins, there are a few different types of buns to try. For example, fake a low bun with tucked-away ends and spritz it with hairspray. Alternatively try a mini half-up bun.
24. Half Up, Half Down Bun with a Retro Vibe. What about tying half of your hair in a bouffant bun and leaving the rest flowing down? The classic Bardot bangs will complement the look perfectly!
25. Simple Bun with a Claw Clip. If you have long hair, adding a claw clip to your hair accessories is a must. It’s great for making easy 3-minute buns, when you don’t have much time for something complicated like curling and teasing a lot. Leave several front strands for face-framing, twist your hair and make a bun above the clip. Cool earrings are a good addition.
26. Easy Formal Bun with Tiny Twists. This bun is captivating and pleasing to the eye. Its secret is in the contrast of colors and textures. A great option for a wedding updo.
27. Tuck and Roll Bun. It can be worn whether you’re having a day in the office or out adventuring with some friends. Isn’t it too messy? Is it comfortable to wear? Yes, it stays in place, if a proper amount of bobby pins is added.
28. Loop Bun with a Ribbon. A low ponytail bun gives the elegant effect you might be looking for. A wedding hairstyle of the future, what do you think? Do you prefer complicated formal bridal hairstyles or boho-chic undone hairdos?
29. Cute and Easy Plaited Bun. Transform your simple 3-strand braid into a cute bun at your nape. Just follow the easy steps from this photo.
30. Braided Bun for African-American Hair. Any braided bun hairstyle is perfect for keeping your hair in place all day! A bun for box braids is even better. Pair it with shaved sides and the effect will be fire!
31. Curly Hair Bun. If you’re looking for something quick and easy to tame your curls, a curly high bun is the way forward. It’s simple but suitable for all settings, be it a poolside party or the queen’s reception.
32. Intricate Braided Bun. There are braided buns that need special skills. You see an example in this photo. To copy the updo you’ll need to book a hairstylist, but it will definitely make the WOW-effect at any event. Everyone will be left speechless.
33. Feed-In Braid and Bun. Braided hairstyles might look intricate, but they are worth mastering. A bun combined with a braid always adds a touch of femininity and romance to the overall look. Learn the most popular braiding techniques, and you will add dozens of hairstyles to your beauty bank.
34. Cozy Bun Hairstyle for Home. Hair buns are a popular choice for wearing at home. The easiest way to make one is to use a scrunchie or a claw clip. One twist – and your perfectly imperfect claw clip updo is ready.
35. Voluminous Bun for Thick Hair. It may be easier to simply put thick hair in a ponytail or leave it hanging down. But what if you want a feminine top bun? Yes, you will need some patience pulling your thick locks back, but an elegant neat bun style with thick hair is a reality.
36. Flower Hair Buns. Whether you have a wedding, a job interview, or an important meeting with a manager, a floral bun is a great option to show your style. Just choose how much gloss you need for your meeting or event and opt for 1 to 5 flower buns. For formal events, add details and delicate tendrils.
37. Bun Hairstyle for Weddings. Weddings are extraordinary events in our lives, and we do need a great outfit and matching hair to feel special. Make one of the trendy flower buns and show your femininity.
38. Buns for Fine Hair. When you have fine hair, it may be challenging to know what to do with it. However, it can be styled effectively if you have highlighted dimension in your hair and good styling products. A small bun like in this picture is really achievable, the before-after photo is the proof.
39. Elegant Looped Bun. This bun is a power-bomb. And it looks more complicated than it really is. Two undone ponytails aka loop buns plus a glamorous accessory – and your super-elegant bun is ready.
40. Hair Bun with Glasses. The most professional-looking bun in this selection. Perfect for work and play, dates, a lunch with your friends, and a job interview. How to make it look more playful? Add a scrunchie for a pop of color.
Are you struggling with new hairstyle ideas that are easy, adaptable, and suit your hair type? Stylish bun styles are just that. In case you need even more bun hairstyles and other hair ideas, we have collected more photos for your inspiration. Check out our galleries and Q&A section, and your hair routine will become easier and more pleasant.