40 Sophisticated Updo Hairstyles for Black Women
Black updo hairstyles are really chic and they give the much desired queenly, elegant look that no other hairstyle can beat. For a hairstyle that will really bring out the beauty queen in you, opt for one of the gorgeous updo hairstyles for black women from this gallery.
In this article, we gathered the 40 classiest updos. Whether it’s a cute wedding upstyle, befitting date night hair, or a prom-perfect hairdo, all the black updo hairstyles you need in your life are right here. You just need to choose the one that fits your needs and occasion!
1. Crown Twist Updo for Black Hair. For those days when you need to look like royalty. Folded into a crown halo, this center-parted natural curly updo for black hair offers you all the graceful elegance you need on very special occasions.
2. Black Buns Hairstyle. If you need an easy updo for black hair that would showcase the African queen in you, try this space buns mohawk. What a lovely way to wear your gorgeous, curly hair! Use edge control to keep the edges in place.
3. Twisted Braids Updo with Hair Rings. Brush your hair up to accentuate the shape of your face and highlight those amazing features. Braid the length of your hair into loose twists and wrap the twisted braids into a mohawk for a scintillating appearance.
4. Black Updo Weave Hairstyle. Length should never be the reason for missing out on these amazing updo hairstyles for black women. Use a weave or hair extensions to make up for what is lacking in length. Try styling your updo into this sassily-chic high bun with curly tendrils grazing the sides of your face.
5. Sleek and Kinky Updo. Recreate this lovely bun hairstyle and get ready for a shower of uuhs and aahs. The style is simple and you can easily do it on your own. Leave out a portion of hair in the front and brush back the rest of it into a low bun. Now twist and fold the hair in the front along one side of your head, tuck the end into the low bun and secure in place with hairpins.
6. Huge High Curly Bun with Fulani Braids. Flaunt those gorgeous curls like a black celeb. Voluminous natural curls stowed up into a high bun are all you need to steal the day. Leave some braids to hang languidly around your face for a fashionable look.
7. Two Buns and Two Braids Hairdo. Represent your heritage with pride. The mix of two buns and two strands of thick Fulani side braids gives the desired tribal touch to your hairstyle. Don’t forget to spice the style up with beads and threads for that authentic African flair.
8. Jumbo High Bun Updo with Undercut. Lovers of edgy hairstyles, say y-e-a-a-a-h!! A chic undercut, fascinating lotus design, and the mother of all twisted high buns make for this black bun hairstyle that screams EDGY!
9. Rolled Bridal Updo. A cute and stylish updo hairstyle for black women. Beat every other hairstyle at the party hands down. It’s your wedding day, after all. Book this down for your D-day.
10. Accessorized Bun Hairstyle for Black Woman. Oh yeah, you can rock your dreads in a fabulous updo. It takes away the stress of styling your dreadlocks daily. Pack your locs into a high bun and adorn them with shells and beads for a classy finish.
11. Black Updo Hairstyle with Curls. A curly faux hawk combines the feminine touch of curls with the edgy feel of mohawk hairstyles. Braid the sides of your black curly hair and define the center into a mo’ to achieve this gorgeous natural curly updo for black hair.
12. Kinky Updo for Natural Black Hair. Step into the hall like a princess receiving the admiration of her loyal subjects. This prom-perfect hairstyle will keep all eyes on you. Secure a lovely hair accessory to your hair to complete the graceful look.
13. Rolled Updo with Jewelry. Brush down your hair and twist it loosely into a rolled updo. It can be a combination of a flower bun on the top and a French twist in the back. Add hair accessories to your hairdo and you’re set. A weave or hair extensions work perfectly if your hair is short.
14. Pompadour-Style Twisted Updo. Get your hair ready for that fancy evening. A twist braid updo hairstyle like the one below looks befitting for both formal and informal occasions. Elegant and chic, the twists will ensure your updo lasts much longer.
15. Dreadlocks Updo with Nape Design. Uh-lah-lah! Dreads hairstyles don’t ever have to be boring. Treat your dreads to a sophisticated high bun hairstyle. The neat scalp with an undercut design adds lovely details to her dreadlocks updo.
16. Curly Black Hair Updo with Cornrows. The kind of black updo hairstyles with curls you rock when you are all out to steal someone’s attention. This is your go-to for that weekend dinner with a special someone or when you’re going out on a first date. We bet he will be literally held spellbound by your beautiful hair.
17. Stunning 4C Curly Hair Updo. The intricate details of this updo hairstyle for black women with 4C natural hair make it a complete traffic-stopper. Thick black hair is loosely interwoven into a single large braid.
18. Multiple Braids and Curls Updo. Bohemian braids are very trendy and versatile. They can also be styled in so many ways. You can style it into black updo braids featuring loose curls that dangle alluringly around your hair. A colorful hair accessory will make the style fancier.
19. Twisted 4C Mohawk Updo. One of the secrets to achieving a great hairdo is to start the right moisturizing hair routine for your locks to keep them hydrated and, thus, healthy. Her Mohawk looks so great because the hair is in the good condition. Don’t skip hair care routines!
20. Black Updo Braids and Twists. A simple braided hairstyle can take on a glamorous look just by the way you style it. Style your scalp twists and thin cornrows into this fascinating multi-textured black updo.
21. Big Low Bridal Updo with Jumbo Pearls. Buns are great for weddings! Low buns like this one are among the most asked bridal updos for black women in 2022. For that classy bridal look, your stylist should make a loose bun and use pearls to give the bun a romantic feel.
22. 90s Black Updo Hairstyle. Another exotic updo for black hair that is always a hit. It’s a 90s-inspired beehive high bun hairstyle. Bridal high bun hairstyles for black hair are literally timeless.
23. Wedding Black Updo for Bridesmaids. Or wedding guests, or the bride herself. Give it good styling – and simple twists transform into an amazing updo hairstyle for black women. Decorate with fancy bridal accessories – and you’ve got a smashing black bridesmaids hairstyle.
24. Voluminous Black Hair Wedding Updo. Glamorous black bun hairstyle for the perfect wedding look. The dark and glossy, voluminous lush hair contrasts lovingly with your white wedding dress. The pearl-and-crystal hair piece adds romantic vibes to the hair.
25. Folded Mohawk Updo. A fanciful faux hawk updo for black women, what can be better? This same hairstyle in blonde or golden-brown hair color! Colors will add that desirable radiant touch to your updo. Spot dainty hair accessories here and there to jazz up the drama.
26. Scalp Braided Quiff Updo. This easy updo for black hair is superb for kinky curls. An exquisite updo hairstyle you can easily create by braiding your hair halfway up from the back. Fold the hair loosely at the crown into a voluminous twist as in the picture below.
27. Neat Twisted Black Hair Updo. Updo hairstyles for black women are really versatile. There is a style for everyone, whether you like them simple or complex. A polished black updo like this one is fitted for every occasion. Use a styling gel to smoothen out the edges of your hair to keep it looking beautiful.
28. Professional Braided Mohawk. Very cute, or rather, adorable Mohawk updo for black women. The helical details of the cornrows and the braided part in the center make this hairdo mesmerizingly beautiful.
29. Half-Up Half-Down Curls. This is a creative, fun way to flaunt your curly ‘fro in style. The snaky cornrows fed into bantu knots and spaced with straight cornrows end in layered natural curls to deliver a sophisticated natural curly updo for black hair.
30. Puffy Curly Bridal Hairdo. If you have shorter hair, fear not, as you can always use kinky extensions to get the required length. Hair accessories such as faux flowers, pins, combs, pearls, crystals, etc. are to black hair updos like flowers to a tree. Adorn your hair with fitting accessories to give it a glitzy feel.
31. Special Occasion Quiff Updo Style. Weddings provide a perfect opportunity to wine, dine, and socialize. Every lady would want to attend such an event looking her best. This luscious low bun hairstyle is a suitable wedding updo, whether you’re the bride or an invited guest.
32. Dreadlocks High Bun Updo. Rocking your dreads and loving it? Here is a gorgeous styling option for your locs. Pile up your locs into a high bun, secure with a hairband and tuck the ends in to create a curly lotus-like bun.
33. Side-Parted Twist Braids Updo. Braid some twisted cornrows with a side part. The flat cornrows give the sides a shaved look while the rest of the hair is styled into an updo. A simple but very attractive hairdo.
34. Classic Low Bun. A classic low bun hairstyle looks really delectable on black women. If you prefer a simple and basic updo for your big day, this is ideal for you. Let some strands of your hair hang loosely around your face for a romantic feel. A bright hair accessory will do wonders.
35. Protective Braided Bun Hairstyle. Braided chignons are super-chic, romantic, and trendy in 2022. Bun hairstyles for black women are always popular. The secrets to making your hair this beautiful are nicely done braids and a curvy parting.
36. Cute Prom Updo for Black Hair. If nature has blessed you with naturally puffy hair, use it to your advantage. Afro hair will naturally form a puff when tied backwards. Create a cute updo with your kinky locks for a simple but very classy black bun hairstyle.
37. Big Braided Faux Hawk. Braided updos require less maintenance and last much longer than the updos you make without braids. Get inspired by the get-up-and-go updo hairstyles for black women – the braided faux hawk hairdo is ideal.
38. Headband Twisted Updo. Want a hairstyle that is protective as well as fashionable? Check out this twisted hairstyle. The two-strand twist braids will ensure your mane stays protected. The headband twist adds a stunning chic vibe to this easy updo for black hair.
39. Big Curly Low Bun and Horizontal Cornrows. If you have kinky hair, consider styling your gorgeous curls into an easy updo like this one. Don’t underestimate it – the style is easy yet super-fashionable. A chic kinky low bun with two lines of attractive feed-in cornrows.
40. Black Updo with Creative Braids. For those with really long hair, here is a braided bun hairstyle you can try for a gorgeous look. High buns are queenly and make for a really attractive hairdo. You can still pull this off even if your hair is short. All you need is long hair extensions.
All the style inspo you need for elegant updo hairstyles for black women is right here! These black hair updos are also really easy to pull off. Which one of them would you choose for your next look?