30 Stylish Updos for Short Hair to Make It Look Terrific
29. Flawless Polished Chignon for a Lob Cut. Updos for short hair can deliver a gorgeous elegant look you’ve never thought you can pull off with your crop. Check new ideas of upstyles you can do for bob-length hair and even shorter cuts.
It might seem as if there aren’t many ways to style short hair. This is not true. There are no limits to updos for short hair! You can experiment with complicated and simple, fun, and formal short updos.
Cool, messy, and casual or put-together and elegant? Check our selection below to pick whatever you want!
1. Chignon for Neck-Length Hair. Nowadays, there are plenty of hairdressers that can create a chignon even from the shortest hair. This chignon is a quick updo you can adopt for any occasion. A great idea for both formal and casual events.
2. Voluminous Low Bun for Thin Short Hair. Even if your hair tends to be straight and thin, you can generate some volume and create an incredible style. You just need to find a good hairstylist.
3. Classy Knotted Bun. If messy styles are not your option, have a look at this low updo. The put-together yet airy bun will lend a slightly mysterious flair to your look.
4. Updo for Short Bobbed Hair. Can you believe the hairstyle on the right is made out of the neck-length hair on the left? The bob is a cool hairstyle as it is, but if you add some twists or braids and fancy pins, you can transform it into something gorgeous.
5. Wedding Bun for Short Hair. Add some accessories, and voila, you have a wedding updo for short hair! White flowers, a line of pearls, or a delicate barrette can be added to lift this basic style.
6. Grecian Twisted Short Updo. Beautiful, fun, and noble hairdo that calls to mind warm summer evenings. Looks best when worn with bangs.
7. Weightless Fine Hair Bun for Short Hair. A simple and quick hairdo that will make you feel like Audrey Hepburn – feminine, rich, superb.
8. French Twist Look. Easy to do yourself after some practice, the French twist is one of the best updos for short hair. It can serve as a formal style for work or a sophisticated style for a special occasion.
9. Easy Messy Chignon. Checking the before-after pictures of modern updo hairstyles for short hair is a real joy! This very short hair updo rests lovingly at the nape and reveals the slender neck. Elegant and stunning!
10. Nape Bun with Long Bangs. A gracious and sophisticated hairstyle. With this one, you will definitely be noticed wherever you go.
11. Low Tucked Updo. A nicely put together updo for short medium hair can catapult your hair from limp to fabulous. Her intricately folded bun is incredibly fascinating and impressively cool.
12. Hairdo for Shoulder-Length Hair. This short to medium length updo looks beautiful with open back dresses. Feel red-carpet-ready and enjoy your special event or a casual day.
13. Messy Nape Bun. A fresh compromise between a classy bun and a chic carefree hairstyle. Curl and pin, add some flowers or leave as it is.
14. Attractive Wavy Updo with Flowers. Updos for short hair always look more voluminous thanks to masterfully created and pinned 3D waves. If your hair is highlighted, the effect will be even more stunning.
15. Classic Short Chignon Updo. Walking down the aisle anytime soon? Don this captivatingly beautiful wedding updo for short hair. That gorgeous blend of brown and blonde highlights will hold your wedding guests spellbound.
16. Small Bouffant Chignon. For a classier updo for short hair, leave some hair in the front and start with braiding the back of your hair into a tight French braid (or make twists at least). Wrap the end into a low bun and then use the front hair to secure the bun from going loose. Allow a few strands to frame your face for casual glamor.
17. Simple Low Bun for Short Hair. All set for a red carpet event but your hair isn’t on fleek yet? Or maybe you’ve got to make a last-minute plan and attend your best friend’s parents wedding anniversary? Quickly whip up this short formal easy updo for short hair. Twist, wrap, and pin.
18. Blonde Curly Chignon. Create an unforgettable memory at that wedding reception with this radiant messy upstyle for short hair. The guests’ appreciative ‘uuhhs’ and ‘aahhs’ will let you know you’ve made the right choice.
19. Twist and Cross Short Hair Bun. This runway-inspired updo hairstyle for short hair is versatile and you can wear it to any formal event or even to a beach party. Try fanciful crown twist braids, and feed them into a compact low bun. Leave a few strands to hang down for that magnificent beauty queen look.
20. Elegant Low Bun. If you want to feel like a princess or queen, this updo is for you! A low accessorized hairdo will look beautiful with all your elegant dresses, but strapless dresses would be the best fit.
21. Embellished Braided Bun. The short hair bun with a loose braid is a cute hairstyle letting you tuck your shorter pieces into a voluminous updo secured in place with decorative hair clips.
22. Voluminous Updo for Medium Short Hair. This style is perfect for weddings and proms. With a few hairpins and a refined accessory, you can become the center of attention.
23. Neat Nape Bun. A timeless classic among easy updos for short hair. The style is created by twisting and rolling your hair to form a smooth and polished low bun. Use bobby pins to secure the bun and add hair accessories for extra glitz.
24. Modern Chignon Updo for Short Hair. Ditch the classic chignon for something a bit chicer and sassier. To create this strikingly beautiful upstyle for short hair, don’t pull your hair tightly back. Instead, let the curled strands flow freely for a fascinatingly messy effect.
25. Messy Low Bun. The messy hairstyle is for girls who want to have fun. With some vibrant clothes, this updo can express your energy and freedom.
26. Vintage Bohemian Short Updo. This is an easy updo for short hair you can arrange in a flash. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. There are no flaws in boho-chic formal hair. The beauty is actually in those casual imperfections, as the catch is to get your hair fun and flirty.
27. Bouffant Nape Bun Updo. Create that ‘bring it on’ look with this gorgeous too-busy to-be-bothered short hair bun. Simply tease the roots and tie your hair into a chignon. Pull at it slightly to make it fluffier, and you’re good to go. The soft drape of blonde hair on the side lends the style an effortlessly feminine allure.
28. Low Updo for Short Hair. Braids can’t spoil a hairdo, right? In case you lack length, imitate a braid by criss-crossing your layers and pinning them in place.
29. Super Quick Short Hair Updo. Such updos are universally flattering and look gorg on different hair colors and with all face shapes. Learn how to do it once, add different accessories, and wear it to all possible events.
30. Flower Bun with French Braid. If you need a cute girly updo and your hair is not long enough, we have something for you. Leave a lasting impression with this picture-perfect prom hairstyle for short hair. The incredibly cool short hair bun would pair well with a gorgeous prom gown.
As you see, pretty updos for short hair are not a myth! You may always add more texture with volume-boosting products, use clip-ins or accessories. Don’t be afraid to ask your hairstylist to create an updo, and just enjoy the process. We hope this selection of updo hairstyles for short hair inspired you to style your short locks up more often. Tell us in the comments below what short upstyles you usually do and which volume-boosting tricks you use. Have a nice day!